RN Refresher Course
What is an RN Refresher Course?
A RN Refresher course helps a registered nurse, who's license has been inactive or expired for more than two years or who has not practiced nursing for the two year period, get their license renewed.
The Central CO AHEC Refresher course is an "anytime, anywhere" program where the individual student directs and controls his/her own learning environment. The theory is offered through the Central Colorado Area Health Education Center (AHEC) on BlackBoard that can be accessed from any computer. The course is sponsored and managed through the Colorado Center for Nursing Excellence and the Central Colorado AHEC.
**This Course is Certified by the Colorado State Board of Nursing**
You will have 12 months from when you recieve your logins to finish the course.
The course is designed using case based learning where actual case scenarios are used to develop critical thinking in the learner. There are four theoretical modules that can be accessed through the Internet on BlackBoard.
Each module has assigned readings, case studies through a CD ROM from the textbook and self-testing. The student is expected to read the assignments, review the web links, and complete the self-tests.
Once you have completed the course requirements you will then be elegable to take the open book final exam. You have to get an 80% of the final exam to continue on to the clincal portion of the Course. The Final Exam is a proctored "pencil and paper test that can be taken at an assigned facility or your local AHEC.
- Module One - Current Concepts in Nursing Theory
- Module Two - Therapeutic Advances
- Module Three - Systems Review and Current Trends
- Module Four - Contemporary Issues
Evolve: The Evolve Website will be used as a tool to teach various scenarios. These include critical thinking exercises in adult health (all systems), med-surg problems, procedures and treatment, mathematical practice, acid base and electrolytes, infection control and wound care, and psychiatric fundamentals, procedures and disorders and treatment
Module Five is 120 (or 80 depending on how long you have been out of nursing) hours of clinical practicum, skills training and hospital required training utilizing "self-assessment" and "competency" tools under the direct supervision of an RN preceptor. The clinical experience is individualized for the student based on their background, education and planned work environment. The experience is a contract between the student, healthcare facility and assigned preceptor.
- 2-5 years expired/inactive - Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 80 Clinical*
- 5-10 years expired/inactive - Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 120 Clinical*
- 10 or more years expired/inactive - Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 120 Clinical*
*The State Board of Nursing may require additional hours as determined by the Board on a case-by case basis.
How Much Does It Cost?
- Tuition Cost: $1,895.00 (not including textbook)
- Medical Surgical Nursing 9th Edition - (ISBN: 0323065805) - Estimated Cost $115.00
- Healthcare Background Check: $40 - Paid Directly to American Databank
After the Test
After you pass the test, you will need the following:
- Lapsed or expired RN license or Pre -NCLEX student
- Proof professional liability insurance
- Proof of current CPR
- Proof of current immunization
- Healthcare Background Screening
- PC/Mac/Linux computer with internet access
Brush Up On Your Skills
Do you need to brush up on your skills?
Memorial Hospital offers asixteen hour course designed to prepare the registered nurse for the clinical portion of a *certified RN Refresher program. All participants must have successfully completed the didactic portion of a certified RN refresher program and have a current RN license or a temporary RN license issued from the Colorado State Board of Nursing.
This two day course offers a variety of skills practice in the simulation environment to include:
- Physical assessment
- Medication administration
- Nursing process
- IV Therapy
- Documentation in the electronic medical record
- Equipment review
Central Colorado AHEC, a 501(c)(3) Organization | 10200 E. Girard Avenue | Denver, CO | 80231 | 303.481.8686